Guitarist Φ Composer
I prefer to let the music do the talking but here are a few things to paint a bit of a picture about myself:
- I'm a musical explorer and composer, using the guitar as my main tool for expression and discovery. I’m also just a constant beginner. Being a beginner keeps everyday fresh and exciting as the journey into music is deep, mysterious, and one of constant learning. And its fun to always be learning!
- Playing music is my constant reminder to get out of the way and surrender to the moment. Music for me is a path of great healing, self-discovery and wonder. It certainly doesn’t have much to do with all the corporate jingles out there in the mainstream media spotlight that pretends to be music. I like to make an important distinction between music and jingles. The corporate music industry mostly likes to promote jingles designed to sell a fake lifestyle, performed by pre-selected salespeople groomed to follow the predictable and inane 'cult of celebrity'. In this situation music, which is about authentic creativity, ends up taking a backseat and the wide diversity of incredible independent music that is out there under the radar doesn’t get get the exposure it deserves. There are real wonders to be found - Bandcamp, CD Baby and forests are great places to start.
- I've recorded and performed with such inspirational musicians as Mike Keneally (Frank Zappa, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai), Marco Minnemann (Joe Satriani, Steve Wilson, The Aristocrats), Bumblefoot (Guns N' Roses), Bryan Beller (Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, The Aristocrats), Andy Edwards (Robert Plant, IQ, Frost), Steve Lawson and Lalle Larsson (Karmakanic, Agents of Mercy, Electrocution 250).
- I've been blessed with amazing parents - my mother is french and my father an indian professor of paediatrics and sufi poet with a love of Rumi. I grew up in the countryside of South Wales, giving me a deep affinity with hills and trees.
- By the age of 7 my favourite subject was ufology. It was always a major disappointment that they never explored such things at school.
- I only just barely survived the schooling system with my sense of purpose and creativity intact. Music helped keep a crack in the door open.
- I'd love to someday read the book of G'Quan.
- I studied guitar at the American Institute Of Music In Vienna from 1991 to 1993 and it was a really wonderful to be surrounded 24/7 by such inspiring guitar teachers as Wayne Brasel, Todd Duane, Les Wise, Conrad Schrenk and Milan Polak.
- My debut album "Worlds Beyond Cause" has what seems to be an EVP (recorded ghost) happening at 2:45 on track 4...?
- Lydian augmented sounds really sexy to me and needs to be part of modern pop music vocabulary.
- My favourite guitar is a 1988 Ibanez RG550 with an extended custom cutaway (pictured above).
- Some of the music that continues to inspire me would come from the direction of such folk as Shawn Lane, Igor Stravinsky, Jeff Beck, John Coltrane, John Barry, Mike Keneally, Eric Dolphy, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Os Mutantes, Ali Farka Toure, Ry Cooder, Derek Trucks, Mats/Morgan, Allan Holdsworth, Frank Zappa, Lalle Larsson, JS Bach, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Conrad Schrenk, Hermeto Pascoal, Fredrik Thordendal, Komeda, Kevin Gilbert, Mike Gaito, Deerhoof, The Beatles, Todd Duane, Chanan Hanspal, Dave Fiuczynski, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and a whole host of other stuff from different times and places.
Some selected Interviews:
Φ Selected Discography:
- 'Reality Is My Plaything' (Coming 2017 I hope!)
- 'Deeper With The Anima' (with Marco Minnemann) (Age Of Wonder 2012)
- 'Dance With The Anima' (with Marco Minnemann) (Age Of Wonder 2010)
- 'Solar Flare' (Geomagnetic Records 2005)
- 'Holotropic Guitar EP' (Cydonia Records 2000)
- 'Anomalies' (Cydonia Records 1997/ Remixed Geomagnetic Records 2007)
- 'Worlds Beyond Cause' (Cydonia Records 1997)
Φ Other Projects:
- Steve Lawson, Andy Edwards & Phi Yaan-Zek - 'Ley Lines II' (Age Of Wonder 2016)
- Steve Lawson and Phi Yaan-Zek - 'The Quiet After The Drums' (2016)
- Steve Lawson, Andy Edwards & Phi Yaan-Zek - 'Ley Lines' (Age Of Wonder 2015)
- Phi Yaan-Zek - 'Wisdom Of The Ancients' Soundtrack Album (2004)
- Symbiant - 'Eclipse & Desire' (1996-2001)
- Souce - 'The Fountain Of You' (2001)
- Julius Crab - 'Is There' (Cydonia Records 1997)
- The Cosmic Monstrositors (GFP Recordings 1994/ Remastered Cydonia Records 2000)
Φ Compilations & Guest Solos:
- Gianluca Ferro - 'Unheimlich' (SG Records 2010) - guest solo on 'Bipolar Zombie'
- OSV - 'Chapter 3' (2010)
- Stefan Rosqvist Band - 'The Guitar Diaries' (Liquid Note Records 2008) - guest solo on 'Decisions'
- VA - 'The Alchemists Vol 2' (Liquid Note Records 2007) - 'The Puffball That Ate My Village'
- VA - 'The Alchemists Vol 1' (Liquid Note Records 2002) - 'Out In The Boonies' (Original Version)
- VA - 'Warmth In The Wilderness - A Tribute To Jason Becker' (Lion Music 2001) - 'Air' (with Lalle Larsson)
- VA- 'Guitarapalooza Vol 2' (2001) - 'Mister Phi (G’palooza Mix)'